February 8, 2009

Pizza Party at Aunt Irene's

We had a great pizza party at Aunt Irene's place on Saturday. 
It was wonderful to see her and meet other members of my Black family. The Black sisters loved each other so much and it's fun to get their kids together for a family squeeze!


Here's the Black sisters right before my Grandma died of liver cancer. Starting left to right, Jean (my Grandma and the youngest member of the family), Florence, Iris, Irene (party host and last remaining family member), Millie and Naomi.






I LOVE this picture of the kids before the last two kids were born. I thought the picture was smudged, but it's not. They actually had that many freckles ... that eventually faded and became very cute. But for goodness sakes .... those are quite the freckles! 

Left to right ... Roy, Iris, Irene, Millie and Naomi


 Here's a picture of the Black family kids with Grandma Jean as the youngest. There was one other baby boy born after her but he didn't survive. Left to right ... Naomi, Millie, Iris, Irene,  Roy, Florence and Jean.


Aunt Irene at 90! And her son Bill Wrigley.


The Dowdles ... My Mom Jolynn is Jean's oldest, and I'm Jolynn's oldest. Did you already figure that out?


Cody's playing darts with Cousin Scott.

Pam and Janet are Aunt Iris' daughters. They're the ones that look like twins in the picture.


Warren Bitner family -- Warren is the son of Aunt Florence and he's a teddy bear - so kind!



Mom and Aunt Irene get reacquainted. Mom lived with Aunt Irene in Massechusetts for a while when she was seventeen. She loved her time there.



Pam and Janet look over the book of remembrance that Warren brought to the party. It was so fun looking at old pictures I've never seen before.



Aunt Irene, Daniel Bittner and Eric put together a Dowdle puzzle. 



Cody and Caleb find the ball-loot!



Balls were later found all over the room. The retirement center had probably never before found balls strewn about in such a way. I hope we found them all!



Heidi and James Jackson stopped by for a bit and looked at pictures. It was so great to see them!



Mom showed up a little late and the whole room got excited when she got there.  



Aunt Irene has become very special to me. I never knew my own Grandma and have LOVED hearing Aunt Irene's stories of their family and my Grandma. What a gem this woman is!


Shawn took the little kids and played with them while the adults tried to visit. This boy! He's so good with kids and will one day make a super-dooper Dad!!!!!

Thanks to Bill and Pam and Warren for putting everything together. And thanks to Aunt Irene for hunkering down for pizza, noise, Eric's jokes and little kids running around. I hear that she was tired for three days after the party (oops) but I hope she enjoyed all the love that surrounded her. She surely is loved!

No comments: