February 10, 2009

Aunt Ellen's Funeral

Ellen Powell Gundersen
Born 1921 - Died 2009
Wife of Thomas A. Gundersen

My Great Aunt Ellen died on February 3rd. She is married to Tom Gundersen, my Grandpa Joe's brother. I remember Uncle Tom well and found him to be one of the kindest men I had ever met. Aunt Ellen has been without him for twenty years now and I can only imagine how happy she is to be with him again.


Tom and Ellen had three children, Stephen, Shauna, and Leonard. They had three other children who did not live long, and they are with them now. Shauna, the little girl in the picture, is one of the dearest people I have ever met. She was one of the greatest influences in my life and was also a big example when it came to me joining the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

Here's Aunt Ellen and Uncle Tom at Christmas with Stephen and Shauna. 

One of my favorite memories of Aunt Ellen was a day when I went to visit her on my lunch break from work. She took the time to tell me stories about my Grandma Jean, who she was very close to. I enjoyed it so much and am very grateful to her for that time. She told me how proud my Grandma would have been of me had she lived to know me. That meant a great deal.


Uncle Tom was a soldier in WWII. I love this picture of him and Ellen and can only imagine how hard it was for them to part. Aunt Ellen gave birth to twins while Tom was at war. They only lived an hour. I can't imagine the heartbreak they must have felt at that time, especially as they were apart.

I imagine this was a picture taken while Tom and Ellen were dating (but am not 100% sure).  She looks so young ... and a lot like her Granddaughter Jen!

I had to add this picture so ya'll could see my Grandpa Joe and his brothers Tom and Grant. They were amazing acrobats as well as great at almost any sport. Grant's on his hands. Joe is standing. And Tom is the one floating in the air!!!! Aren't thy just cool!?

After the funeral, we all came back to the church for a family luncheon. Here I am with Jen, Ellen's granddaughter and one of my favorite people of ALL TIME! We share a birthday (years apart) and love each other's guts! It was SO good to see her. It's been a while since we've had a cuzzie-hug.

Jen and Shauna (Granddaughter and daughter of Ellen) ... two angels on earth!

My Mom with her cousin Shauna. They grew up together playing in orchards, running wild, riding bikes and being best buds. Shauna has found  a way to be in our family's lives and has always been an amazing and kind influence. She'll never know how much we all love her!

Sneaking another Pixy-Cuz hug before leaving. Can you blame me ... Jen's amazing!

Deb and Shauna ... life student and teacher. How I would love to be like my Mom and Shauna when I grow up. (don't say it! I'm only 39!)

Dinah and Jen catch a squeeze. Aren't they adorable?!

Leonard (Ellen's son) and Connie Gundersen pose for me during the luncheon. I have to say out loud ... Leonard is one of the coolest relatives I've ever known. He's funny and spiritual and cute and loving and ... lucky to have Connie, one of the kindest women you'll ever meet. Some couples were just meant to find each other!


Today was very bitter sweet ... we will miss Aunt Ellen. But we're so happy to know she's with Tom and her other children. She must be elated right now! And we're so happy to see our sweet Gundersen family and the gobs of others that came to honor Ellen and her wonderful life. She has left a great legacy in her children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren. And don't forget the cousins ... like me ... who are so grateful for her life's example.

No comments: