October 18, 2008

First Meal all Month!


After seventeen days without food, I just HAD to take a picture of my first feast ... cooked apples and pineapple with plain yogurt (1 cup total). It may not look like much, but ask a starving person (or any Ethiopian of your choice) and see what kind of feedback you'll get.

Lucy Jolynn Update:

I've had a number of friends call telling me they didn't get enough information from my Saving Lucy blog to know what the heck's going on. Here's the readers digest version.

Like many, many other women in the United States, I have endometriosis ... (definition from the Encarta World Dictionary: a medical condition in which the mucous membrane that normally lines only the womb is present and functioning in the ovaries or elsewhere in the body.) 

Last September we found a mass (tumor) on my right ovary about the size of a grapefruit. I went into surgery to have it removed and there were a lot of complication due to the fact that the endometriosis was so advanced that they could hardly see where anything was inside. They cut things they weren't supposed to and I almost bled to death (not a happy story). It took way too long to get back on my feet and post-surgery was a learning experience I hope to never have to relearn.

I surely have learned more compassion though! Anyone who's gone through a tough surgery MUST learn compassion. It's in the fine print that you HAVE to! I'm also suddenly very interested in other people's health ... hmmmm, sad it has to take personal trauma before I learn to actually listen to people when they talk about their bodily problems.

So, Lucy Jolynn (my surviving ovary) is the focus of survival right now. She's doing well. Three days into treatment the pain started going away .. yahoo! The treatment thus far has been a 17-day detox cleanse. I have been drinking fresh vegetable juice (much more vile than it sounds due to things like black radish and dandelion greens ... ugh) and taking a boatload of herbs. In addition, I've been doing hydrotherapy sessions (colonics ... but hydrotherapy sounds less embarrassing) and what I call "herbal chemotherapy" which is really something called chlorine dioxide. If you want to know more, just Goggle Miracle Mineral Supplement. It's quite something. It makes me really nauseous but it's working.

Blah, blah, blah ... I know ... kind of boring.

But happy days are afoot and I'm feeling very optimistic now that I'm getting food again.

Thanks to all of you for your love, phone calls, prayers and cute little packages left at my door. I have taken this opportunity to "hole up" while I lick my wounds (looking for something to eat) and all the time my faithful friends and family have been eager to be there when I needed them. I am SO  BLESSED! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

No comments: