January 10, 2009

Aunt Irene

Irene Black Wrigley
90 years young

Deb and Aunt Irene make their own photo-op
 
Aunt Irene shows me her jewelry that she hopes to leave to my Mom and Aunt's families one day


Her most cherished necklace, a Relief Society President pendent 


I had the wonderful privilege of meeting my Great Aunt on Friday. Aunt Irene was my Grandmother's older sister, and now the only living member of her family. 

My Grandma Jean died when my Mom was only eight years old and our family hasn't know that side of the family very well. Aunt Irene and I have been e-mailing a bit, which has been a tremendous treat. We finally found a time after the holidays for me to make the drive to Logan where we had a lovely visit. We had lunch at Village Inn and then went back to her studio apartment where we chatted and she told me some stories that I recorded. It was quite the feast for the family history bug that lives inside me!

I felt as if I as meeting my own Grandma for the first time, which made me teary. 

Thank you Aunt Irene for your time and your heart. You are a wonderful and admirable woman!

No comments: