November 21, 2010

Home from visiting Benson

Eric went to Kenya for a quilting project he's working on. While there he got to see our son, Benson. I was so anxious to hear stories and know that he was okay. You can imagine how happy I was to get pictures. Eric doesn't tell boring stories, so the whole family gathered around to hear it all. Some day, it is our dream to have Ben come to the States and be with us. He is such a remarkable boy, and we're honored to make him part of our family.



This first picture is the day Benson found his way to Bishop Stamm's place. This is the Nunnary where Eric (+Barry and Ann Nielson) stayed. It is beautiful and surrounded by a protective fence. It's such a lovely place to say. Ben spent Sunday with them, stayed the night and then went back to school some time during the next day. He said to me he would have liked more time, but he was very happy with what time he got. Eric was so impressed with his spirit. I knew he would be!



When Ben and Eric met up, he was given the Christmas package I sent. Ben has a dream to travel the world so I sent him a beautiful atlas that he could study.

Cody sent Ben a wooden snake.... the kind that wiggle to look real. Turns out most Kenyan's are terrified of snakes. Ben said he was looking forward to bringing back to school to scare some of his class mates. Too funny!


I sent lots of "goodies" and Ben was looking forward to them. It didn't take long for him to rip into a chocolate bar. As any Mom would, I have given him instruction to ration his sugar and then brush his teeth. Yes, he's 21-years-old. But it's always a Mom's job to counsel, right?


Another man that Eric met up with was Jim Nduruchi, a wonderful friend from Nairobi. I have wanted Ben and Jim to connect. Jim has a PhD in Political Science. Ben is becoming a teacher. I'm so glad they have become friends. I have a feeling they will stay in touch and perhaps even work together some day. That would please Eric and myself so much.


Eric and Jim are good friends and since this trip have become even closer. I look forward to meeting him myself (next trip I guess, if I can bear the 23 hours to get to Kenya ... sigh).


Obama seems to have gotten around. Seems like he's a store owner or representative in each village. Funny.

At Bishop Stamm's, Ben fell in love with this bush exclaiming that it was SO BEAUTIFUL and that he needed a picture of it. Love the simple things and you will learn to live in gratitude!


Bishop Stamm's lawn mowers. Awesome!


One of the things I sent in Ben's Christmas package was running shoes. Turns out they were white and too small. So Eric got the shoes and he let Ben pick out what he liked. I'm glad it worked out that way because he surely wanted black. Little details ... but I'm learning.


Hunting for the RIGHT shoe.

A walk through Kakamega.


last time we were in Kakamega, Eric had this tailor make him some pants. He really like them (very roomy ... although I can him MC Hammer when he wears them). He decided to find the same tailor and get a jacket to match. Now he looks like MC Hammer after his fame ... door-to-door salesman. Well, that's what I think. He thinks the polyester travels nicely. ;)



"Get your tires and suits here!"


Benson finds one of his family members selling bananas on the street. She was happy to meet Eric.


They also ran into a cousin of Ben's who rides a "border-border" (bike taxi service).


After a few attempts, Ben's cousin finally got a shot of Ben and Eric that didn't involve his fingers. It's a funny story.

The trip was too short. But we are so grateful that Eric and Ben could meet up. What blessings we experience in our blended family. The Lord puts people in our lives every day and they become family. We are so pleased with Ben's hard work at school. He is a very special young man. We are so excited to see him again ... soon. When? We're not sure. But we will see him again.

1 comment:

Brennan said...

Awesome. I want to go with him next time. :D